Are you on a budget? These days it seems most of us are, so I have compiled a list of very useful software tools that are of good quality, yet free of charge. If you are like me, you may ask why are these tools free? There are many reasons; some are free because they are new and are trying to get known. Others try to get you to use their product, so in the future you may buy some of their other products, or buy the enhanced features of the current product. While others are “open source” which means the source code is available to anyone to develop, and some do just that for fun and recognition to further their careers as programmers. The reasons are many, so why not take advantage? Let’s get started...
- Want to burn a CD or DVD? Try Infrarecorder at http://infrarecorder.org/.
- Want to see what software and hardware you have on your computer? Take a look at Belarc Advisior at www.belarc.com/free_download.html.
- Do you backup your computer regularly? Try cobian backup at www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm or http://www.dropbox.com/ (2GB free online storage).
- Are you combating email spam? Try mailwasher at http://mailwasher.net/.
- Need to transfer files between computers? Try www.flexense.com/downloads/windows.html.